Side effects of cymbalta
Wondering what is the side effects of Cymbalta? Let’s find out today. There are a lot of antidepressants used in the world today to manage anxiety, depression, and other mental disorders, it can also be used for relieving nerve pain for a diabetic patient or those undergoing fibromyalgia, and arthritis.
Cymbalta is an antidepressant that belongs to the class of drugs known as selective serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRI).
It is a prescribed drug used to treat a certain kind of depression known as major depressive disorder (MDD) in adults and general anxiety disorder both in adults and children.
In August 2004 Cymbalta was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be used in treating;
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Chronic musculoskeletal pain
- Diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain.
Other brand names of Cymbalta include; Duloxetine (generic name), Drizalma, Sprinkle, Irenka.
Notable facts about Cymbalta
- Nausea is the most common side effects associated with the intake of Cymbalta.
- According to research on antidepressants, Cymbalta may trigger suicidal thoughts and behaviors in children and adults.
- The discontinuation of Cymbalta should not be abrupt to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
- Cymbalta should not be taken within 5 – 14days after you have used an MAO inhibitor (methylene blue, isocarboxazid, rasagiline, etc.)
- Cymbalta shouldn’t be administered to a person with narrow-angle glaucoma.
Uses of Cymbalta
Cymbalta can be used in the treatment of;
- Diabetic Neuropathy
Also known as diabetic nerve damage, it occurs in diabetes. It could be mild in some cases and completely fatal and painful in other cases. Diabetic neuropathy affects the extremities (legs and hands). According to WebMD, about 60-70% of all people with diabetes will eventually develop diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
Causes: Extremely high levels of blood sugar damages the nerves.
Symptoms: Loss of sensation, muscle weakness, numbness, burning, and cold.
(ii) Osteoarthritis pain
The chronic excruciating pain that occurs in the muscles and joints.
It is a chronic pain disorder, this pain spreads through the muscles often ignited by emotional and physical stress.
(iv) Depression and anxiety
Other medical conditions include the treatment of arthritis and back pain.
How to use Cymbalta
- Always read the medication guide critically before using the drug to avoid the wrong administration.
- Cymbalta should be administered orally (through the mouth) usually once or twice a day. It can be taken with or without food.
- Avoid chewing drugs or mixing them with food or drinks to avoid releasing the full effects of the drug all at once.
- The right dosage of Cymbalta should be prescribed based on age, medical conditions, and the response of the patient to the treatment.
- Make sure you follow the right instructions of your doctor to avoid drug overdose.
- Intake of drugs should be consistently followed in order to receive the full benefit of the drugs.
- The dosage should be completed even when the patient feels better.
- Medication should not be ended abruptly, a gradual decrease in the dose is the perfect way to end the medication.
Most common side effects Of Cymbalta
- Dry mouth
- Increased sweating
- Loss of appetite
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
These symptoms are not considered potentially harmful as they may go away as the body adjusts to the medication.
- Sore throat
- Body aches and pain
- Xerostomia (dry mouth)
- Pain in muscles
- Constant urination
- Increased sweating
Other side effects include;
- Enlarged liver
- Right abdominal pain
- Colored urine
- Yellowness in eyes
Cymbalta tends to cause an increase or decrease in blood pressure so it important that you regularly check your pressure before and after the treatment.
A lot of skin reactions such as rashes and sores may break out in the skin. It could also signify an allergic reaction.
Abnormality in bleeding
There is an increased risk of bleeding while taking Cymbalta together with a drug class known as NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Cymbalta also affects the eye in the following ways;
- Swollen eye
- Redness in eye
- Chronic pain in the eye
Certain urinary problems such as an increase or decreased in urine flow. Some people might experience an inability or difficulty in urination.
Cymbalta can influence certain reckless behavior, infinite exceptional extraordinary ideas, insomnia, and hyperactive behavior.
Seizures or convulsions
Seizures are a very serious side effect of Duloxetine, the possibility of its occurrence it’s very slim. It mostly occurs in people with a seizure disorder.
cymbalta side effects in elderly and children
- Decreased weight
- Loss of appetite
How to cope with side effects
Most people have trouble sleeping when they take duloxetine. People with this experience are advised to take duloxetine first thing in the morning as the effect will wear off before bedtime.
Patients using the medication that experiences headaches should stay away from strenuous and tiresome activities. They should take plenty of rest and drink lots of water.
Talk to your doctor to recommend pain relief for you.
Feeling dizzy after taking the medication is one of the most common symptoms patients complain about to their doctors. Take slow steps or sit down till you feel better. If symptoms persist talk to your doctor about changing your antidepressant.
Eat foods with high fiber content such as oat, wheat, barley, whole grain, pears, oranges, carrots, and nuts. Fresh fruit, vegetables, cereals, and lots of water are advisable.
Loss of appetite and weight loss
This usually happens during the first stage of taking the medication. As your body gets used to the drug you should feel better. If it gets worse you should talk to your doctor about it.
If you feel tired after taking duloxetine, it is advisable that you take the medicine before going to bed.
Also, you should reduce the amount of alcohol you consume.
For patients that sweats a lot using a strong deodorant. Wear light, loose clothes, and stay in a highly ventilated room. If the symptoms persist see your doctor.
Xerostomia (dry mouth)
If you have a dry mouth you should use sugar-free gum.
Patients experiencing blurred vision should stay away from activities that require focus and alertness.
Side effects of discontinuing Duloxetine
Sudden discontinuation of duloxetine can lead to withdrawal symptoms including Dizziness, Anxiety, insomnia, vomiting, headache, nausea, and fatigue.
Dosage for treatment
Treatment should start from 30mg once daily to 60mg.
For Anxiety disorder
Treatment should begin 30mg once daily and progress to 60mg/day.
For children and adolescence
Start with 30mg daily before increasing to 60mg a day.
For major depressive disorder
Start with 30mg daily then increase to 60mg.
For peripheral Neuropathy
60mg daily once
- If you have allergies, make sure you discuss it with your doctor.
- Alcohol should be avoided during the treatment.
- If you have another history of mental disorders or your family has cases of disorder, you should discuss this with your doctor.
- Duloxetine should not be taken during the last 3 months of pregnancy.
- Talk regularly with your doctor during pregnancy.
- Note that children may experience loss of appetite and weight loss.
- Activities that require alertness should be avoided.
The combination of Duloxetine with other antidepressants can increase the side effects. The right dosage should be correctly followed.
Some effects of Cymbalta can seize as your body gets used to the drug but if you have tried to control them and they still persist. It is very important that you talk to your doctor about recommending a new antidepressant for you.