Cornish hen recipe is also referred to as Rock Cornish game hens. If you aren’t so psyched about chickens and probably would be reading about Cornish hens for the first time, let’s have a brief introduction on what Cornish hen is.
What are Cornish hens?
Cornish hens is the united state department of agriculture (USDA) approved name for a particular variety of broiler chickens that are much smaller than the standard chickens we usually see sold at grocery stores.
They are about 1-2 lbs each and their flavor doesn’t differ from that of a regular chicken.
Cornish hens are an easy-to-serve variety of whole chicken and also are very easy to customize, hence a lot of recipes as to how they can be made exist.
Another advantage Cornish hens have over regular sized hens is that their size makes them easy to cook, I mean who doesn’t appreciate easy cooking meat.
We will be looking at some of these awesome Cornish hens recipes in this article. So if you happen to be searching for a new and fancy Cornish hen recipe, something different from what you are used to, stay glued to reading the rest of this article.
How to cook Cornish hen
The procedure is really basic and requires the following ingredients:
- Olive oil and herbs: First, rub a mixture of olive oil on the
- Vegetables: Add some vegetables like butternut and acorn. Place the veggies around the hens and once cooked, remove the Cornish hens and stir the vegetables till all the flavors are mixed.
- Herbs: Tuck in springs of fresh rosemary, oregano, or thyme amongst the veggies for rubbing the outer part of the hen with a delicious seasoning mix for savory skin.
- Brush the hens with oil, tuck wings under the hen, and place on a pan
- Arrange vegetables around the Cornish hens
- Bake uncovered till it’s ready
- Remove Cornish hens from the oven
- and allow to cool a bit before serving.
Note: if you prefer a crispier skin, place the hens under the broiler till the skin turns brown and gets crispy.
This recipe is a very simple way to make your Cornish hens.
The next recipe is for people who enjoy roasted beds. A classic roasted Cornish hen recipe.
Roasted Cornish hen, Recipe 1
- 2 Cornish hens (1.5 pounds each)
- 3 tsp Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (taste to know if you’ll need more)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon thyme leaves
You could also add;
- 1 pound potatoes chopped
- 2 chopped carrot
- 1 chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, vegetables and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add extra herbs if you like
- Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and herbs in a small bowl. Brush hen with olive oil mixture ensuring you tuck the wings under the hen.
- Place hens in a large casserole dish or on a rimmed baking sheet. Add some vegetables and place in the oven under 400°F.
- Allow baking for 55-65 minutes (the meat and vegetables should be tender)
- Remove from the oven and tent with foil for 10 minutes before cutting.
- After cutting the hen in halves, serve.
Nutritional information for this recipe
This nutrition info is estimated and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Here is another awesome roasted corns hen recipe
Roasted Cornish hens Recipe 2
You’ll need 2 sets of baking pans, a glass mixing bowl (3 pieces), kitchen shears, and an instant-read meat thermometer and the following are the ingredients;
- 2 Cornish hens (1/2lb each)
- 2 springs rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 large onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of pepper or to taste
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Mix all the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl
- Dry the hens with paper towels and then season the hens inside and out with the dry rub
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Add the rosemary, thyme, onion, garlic, and half the lemon slice in a roasting pan. Place the hens in the roasting pan over the herbs and onions and drizzle the olive oil over the hens.
- Transfer the roasting pan to the preheated oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or till an instant-read thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the breast reads 165°F
Remove the hens from the oven and let them cool for 20 minutes. You can garnish with additional thyme, the half lemon slice left rosemary, and serve with mashed potatoes.
|Saturated fat||14g (88%)|
|Vitamin A||966IU (19%)|
Cornish hen is super soft, delicious, and easy to cook.
A lot of recipes as to how they can be prepared exist, you’ll get some of them in this article.
if you also decide to freestyle and add some of your own ingredients which you enjoy, you can also do so.