Immunity boosting drinks when you are sick
Your immune system is powerful, it’s more like a mind-blowing weapon that protects your body and shields it from fever, cold, infections, and any kind of sicknesses.
The immune system protects your body from germs and harmful substances that can make you easily susceptible to sickness. You need to keep your immune system active and strong at all times so it could be your shield and defense.
Our immune system keeps us healthy because it is constantly alert for invaders like bacteria, fungi, viruses, toxins and parasites, all commonly known as antigens.
Another super interesting thing the immune system does is it keeps track and copies of reoccurring antigens so it never appears again. For instance, a person with chickenpox won’t ever contact it again.
The tendency of having it again is zero because your body has a copy of a chickenpox antibody stored and ready to fight and destroy it next time. This is your body becoming immune to chickenpox.
It is no longer hidden that consuming fruits, vegetables as well as drinking their juices provides you with multi-packed vitamins and minerals that boost immunity.
It is easier to blend the fruits into smoothies or beverages to replace eating them because it delivers the nutrients in full.
You could also combine different healthy fruits like orange and tomato to deliver more powerful and potent antioxidants and vitamins or other fruit alternatives.
If you ever do not want to get sick, you have to naturally boost your immune system. Even though you fall sick, a tough immune system would help you recover quickly.
Ensure you purchase fresh fruits and wash them thoroughly before using them, this is an added tip to boost your immune system.
Homemade tomato juice is the best because it is prepared with no added salt and sugar and it is not high in sodium content. Tomato juice is a powerhouse of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It contains vitamins A,C,K,E, folate (vitamin B9), B6, magnesium, and manganese. Antioxidants help to protect the body by fighting radicals that can weaken your immune system.
These two fruits go together and have great taste. The strawberry-kiwi smoothie is a powerhouse of antioxidants as well as vitamins A,C,E, and fiber.
Strawberry-kiwi smoothie recipe:
- 1 large banana
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 cup of frozen strawberries
- 3/4 cup of Greek yogurt
- Pour the milk into the blender, add the yogurt and banana
- Blend for 20 seconds
- Add the strawberries and kiwi
- Blend till you get a smooth mixture
This is one of the perfect immune-enhancing juice combinations that help to protect your body by shielding, fighting and destroying antigens. Both apple and orange provide you with vitamin c. The notable nutrients in this combination are vitamins A,C,B6,B9, potassium and beta-carotene, from carrot.
This immunity juice combo is made of three-star root vegetables- beet, ginger and carrot. These root vegetables as well as apple is rich in vitamins A,B,C, antioxidants and beta-carotene. The nutrients present in this juice boost the immune system because of its anti-inflammatory properties hence reducing the risk of chronic sicknesses like cancer and heart failure.
Pumpkin Seed Juice:
Pumpkin seeds also known as ”pepita” are great sources of vitamin E and other potent antioxidants including beta-carotene that boosts and strengthens the immune system. They are anti-inflammatory and good sources of manganese, iron, zinc. Zinc is important here as it supports immunity. Other benefits of drinking pumpkin seed juice include
- It promotes and improves heart health
- Pumpkin seeds help to control blood sugar level
- They may improve sperm quality because of their high zinc content
- They also promote hair growth, skin health as well as mental health
- Pumpkin seed reduces the risk of certain cancers.
Pumpkin Seed Milk Recipe:
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 ½ cup of clean water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dates or 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, or add to taste
- Soak pumpkin seeds in a glass jar. Add a pinch of salt and let it soak for at least 8 hours, then rinse the seeds severally to get rid of enzyme inhibitors and anti-nutrients.
- Pour the rinsed pumpkin seeds into a blender, add water and blend the grinded seeds till all the nuts are finely blended and crushed
- Strain the blended seeds with milk till you get the mill and blended seeds separately. Discard the blended seeds or use them as a body scrub when you are done with the straining.
- Rinse the blender and pour in the strained milk.
- Add in vanilla, dates, flavorings and blend till you get a smooth and creamy mixture.
- Enjoy cold
This immunity enhancing combo is delicious and would leave your taste buds delighted. It is packed with vitamins A,C,B6 and is really hydrating. Chia seeds are rich in fiber and also plant-based omega 3 fatty acids. This juice has anti-inflammatory properties and can boost your immune system.
Watermelon-Chia Juice Recipe:
- A cup of chia seeds
- 2 cups of water
- 4 cups Frozen, diced, and seedless watermelon
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Stir chia seeds in water till it thickens and forms a gel.
- While waiting for the chia seeds to form a gel, add watermelon, lime juice and salt in a blender and blend for 30 to 60 seconds
- Add in chia gel and blend for 10 seconds
- Enjoy hot or cold
This splendid and tasty combo contains nutrients such as Vitamins A,B6,B9(folate), C, and K, potassium, manganese and magnesium.
Kale-Tomato-Celery Juice Recipe:
- 4 medium-size tomatoes
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 medium kale leaves
- To make a juice, blend all ingredients starting with celery, kale, lemon juice and tomatoes
- Blend for 30 to 60 seconds or till you have a smooth mixture.
This gives a double dose of its anti-inflammatory properties and other benefits as well. This juice tastes amazing and has anti-inflammatory properties as well as antioxidants that assist the body in defending itself against sicknesses. Other benefits of drinking honey-ginger-lemon juice include:
- It is a natural remedy for cough and cold symptoms
- It improves heart health
- Helps digestion
- Controls high blood sugar
Honey-Ginger-Lemon Juice Recipe:
- 1 lemon, sliced and seedless
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon raw original honey
- 1 cup boiling or warm water
- Add sliced lemons and ginger in a cup
- Pour hot water into the cup
- Pour in honey, stir and enjoy
OTHER TIPS TO BOOST IMMUNE SYSTEM:
A Whole Body Approach to Good Health
It is very possible for your immune system to fail at any time, but some additional lifestyle changes can boost it and ensure your body delivers a perfect immune response.
- Take a probiotic supplement as well as daily multivitamins like zinc, selenium and vitamin D.
- Eat food high in nutrients like vitamins A,B2, B6,C,D,E, selenium, zinc and folic acid. Example of these foods include spinach, almonds, chia seeds, turmeric, Papaya, citrus fruit, kiwi, poultry, ginger, red bell pepper, broccoli etc
- Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated flushes toxins and harmful substances out of the body.
- Ensure personal hygiene by washing your hands thoroughly with soap and clean water.
- Avoid the intake of alcohol and smoking as well at all costs. This could weaken your immune system and make you prone to sickness, so avoid smoking and drinking alcohol
- Regular exercise contributes to a healthy immune system. Workouts should be an everyday routine.
- Get adequate sleep, in the afternoon or at night
- Reduce your stress levels: reducing your stress levels can balance immune system function hence promoting good and strong immune systems.
- Avoid sugar and processed foods