How many calories in a large banana
Before we find out how many calories in a large banana, do you know that in the fruit world, banana is like a celebrity that everyone knows? It doesn’t just stop in “banana world” they are also popular among humans. Bananas are like an international celebrity that is known in different countries and continents.
Banana is quite affordable but is very nutritious and healthy. They belong to the genus “Musa”, they grow in clusters of five or more hanging from the top of the plant forming a bunch.
The yellow smooth-skinned fruit is an excellent source of certain vitamins and nutrients including potassium, manganese, folate, copper, Riboflavin (vitamin B2), fiber, and many essential nutrients that the body requires for proper functioning.
They also contain fructose, glucose (monosaccharide), and sucrose (disaccharide) which are naturally occurring sugar.
Bananas vary in sizes and colors. The green variety is under-ripe, the yellow variety is ripe which is indeed the sweetest, and the brown variety which is quite overripe.
Difference between a banana and a plantain
There has been quite a great misunderstanding between bananas and plantains due to the uncanny resemblance between them. Their trees look exactly alike and they are also from the same genus “Musa.”
Let’s resolve this confusion;
- Plantain belongs to the “musa spp” which is the same with banana but it has a different flavor.
- Plantains are larger, thicker, lower in starch, and eaten with vegetables, boiled, fried, roasted, unlike bananas that are consumed raw.
- Plantain contains low moisture content than bananas and as such, remains firm when cooked. Bananas are thinner, shorter, and can be eaten raw as deserts in salads, bread, cakes, and used to make beverages, fruit drinks, parfaits, and smoothies.
Components of Banana
Bananas contains 14 grams of naturally occurring sugar (monosaccharide and disaccharide). It also contains 4 grams of fiber.
Bananas are very low in fat with less than 12 grams in a medium-sized banana.
Bananas are low in protein with under 1.5grams in a medium-sized banana.
Bananas contain several vitamins and minerals listed below.
Nutritional facts on Banana
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
How many carbs are in banana?
Over 93% of banana calories come from carbs, it contains 4% protein and 3% fat. The table below shows how many calories in a large banana
||9inches or longer
How many calories in a large banana?
According to USDA the calories contained in banana is as follows;
||Less than 6
||9 or longer
Are bananas a good breakfast or dinner choice?
It is beneficial to consume at least a medium sized banana every day which is approximately 10% of your daily essential potassium needs. Although banana is extremely healthy, it is made up of 25% sugar(natural).
Due to the quantity of sugar in banana, taking them alone as breakfast can lead to a high boost in the morning but make you feel tired and hungry during the remaining hours of the day. It is advisable to take banana with other food such as oatmeal, pancake, toast, etc.
It is not advisable to eat banana as dinner as this could lead to indigestion because of the starch content, it also draws water from the intestine because of the fiber pectin contain in banana, this will also cause dehydration in the body and lead to constipation
Types of Banana.
There are different types of banana in the world but we barely get to see all of them. They exist in different forms, flavors, savory, colors, and sizes.
- Cavendish Banana: This is the most common variety in the market. It is available in unripe, ripe, and overripe having green, yellow, and brown colors respectively. They are highly rich in potassium and have a greater amount of nutritional content than other types. This type of banana contains anti-aging properties and is a great energy booster. It is very rich in vitamin B6 and contains 110 calories
- Lady Finger Bananas: It is 4- 5 inches long with a cigar shape. It is small, thin-skinned, and sweet. They are sweet to eat when ripe, you can easily notice their ripeness when covered with dark dots. They are very creamy and amazing for smoothies and fruit salad.
Lady finger bananas are rich in magnesium, calcium, vitamins C and B5, dietary fiber, etc.
- Blue Java Bananas: It contains 105 calories, it has silver-blue skin that turns pale yellow when ripe. They are indeed unique and suitable for smoothies. Also, they contain high amounts of fiber, antioxidants as well as minerals and very rich in vitamins B6 and C.
- Apple Bananas: Also known as Manzano are stout, plump, and completely turns black when ripe. When unripe, it has apple flavor and when ripe, has a blend of pineapple and strawberry flavor. Contains a high amount of potassium, fiber, and rich in vitamins C and A.
- Red Bananas: It has red-purple skin and sweet flesh that is cream to light pink when ripe. They are good for weight loss and serves as an energy booster. It is full of fiber, vitamin D and B6.
- Macho Plantain: It has a deep sweet and sour taste, making it perfect to fry, boil or roast. It contains potassium, vitamins A and C.
Benefits Of Eating Bananas
- Improvement of heart health: bananas are excessively rich in potassium which is great for your heart. Potassium helps to lower blood pressure. Including bananas in your everyday diet could help prevent heart attacks, stroke, and fatal blockages.
- Improvement of digestive health: bananas are excellent for easy digestion.
Resistant starch in green bananas contains fiber that restores normal bowel function and keeps it working at its best. Bananas normalize bowel movement during constipation. They produce enzymes to aid easy absorption of nutrients. They are rich in pectin and are natural antacids
- Rich in minerals = Banana is loaded with essential minerals like potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron and vitamins B6, A and C as well as dietary fiber that helps to maintain good health and overall function of your body.
- Muscular health: Bananas contain magnesium which aids muscle contraction and potassium which helps your muscles recover from strenuous workout allowing you to engage in more.
- High satiety level =Bananas makes you feel fuller and look less bloated
- Vision: According to one study, eating bananas every day can improve eyesight and prevent the occurrence of vision-related diseases. Researchers found that Bananas contain carotenoid, an organic pigment that is converted into vitamin A in the liver which boosts eyesight.
- Good skin = On the skin, bananas are known to work amazingly. Due to its excess vitamin A content, it helps to moisturize and repair broken cells on the skin.
- Support weight loss
- Lowers blood pressure
- Contains antioxidants & anti-inflammatory properties that aids wound healing.
Health risks associated will eating bananas
There are no side effects when you consume bananas moderately. As we know it, too much of everything they say is bad. Therefore, eating excess banana can trigger migraines, allergies and sleepiness.
Banana is a fruit containing plenty of sugar, consuming it excessively can cause dental problems. It is proper to practice and maintain proper dental hygiene.
The USDA recommends that adults eat about two cups of fruits a day or about two bananas.
Also, according to the NIH, banana contains vitamin B6, and taking too much of it could lead to nerve damage in the arms and legs.
Healthy banana recipe
This is to ensure bananas are not excluded from your everyday diet. This recipe is simple and takes less than 5 minutes yet so healthy. This recipe contains 122 calories.
One large frozen ripe banana
½ orange for extra flavor
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
¼ milk or water
1 to 2 teaspoon honey (optional)
- Blend chopped orange and banana
- Add Greek yogurt and water or milk and blend until creamy and smooth
- Add honey to your taste