Chilli chicken recipe
Gather here if you’re a big fan of chicken and chili, I like my chicken spicy so I’ll be sharing super easy and tasty chili chicken recipes that I’m sure you are going to love.
Before we get started on the recipes, let’s discuss a bit about chili chicken.
What is chili chicken Recipe?
Chili chicken can be defined as a sweet, spicy, and slightly sour crispy appetizer made with chicken, garlic, bell peppers, soya sauce and don’t leave out chili sauce as it is a very important ingredient.
There are so many ways this chicken appetizer can be made, a lot of amazing recipes have been tried and verified to be delicious.
A very important question people tend to ask when they hear chili chicken is, “Does chili chicken contain an overwhelming amount of chili?”
The truth is, most people assume chili chicken to be too hot based on the name. This isn’t true, chili chicken has the right proportion or balance of sweet, spice(hotness), and sour tastes. It isn’t very spicy as the name implies.
The good thing about knowing the recipes is that you can make yours at home and regulate the flavors just the way you like them. If you love a lot of chilies, you can make it spicier. The first recipe would be;
- Classic chili chicken recipe:
- 250 grams of cubed boneless chicken
- 1½ tsp soya sauce
- 1½ tsp pepper powder
- Plain flour or cornflour
- 1-5tsp of oil
- Green chilies
- Spring onions
- Put 250gransbif cubed boneless chicken in a bowl
- Add 1½ tsp soya sauce and ¼ tsp pepper powder
- Sprinkle cornflour on the chicken or plain flour and add salt to the chicken
- If you are looking forward to having a thick, crunchy coating of the flour like the ones you see in restaurants, add 1 tbs more of plain flour and cornflour
- Pour egg white in the mixture and little water
- Properly stir the mixture well to coat. If the chicken appears too dry, sprinkle little water or add more egg white
- Add chili powder or paprika and mix again, this could help enhance the color
Note: Avoid adding too much liquid (water) as you’ll end up having a batter that will absorb lots of oil and stop its crispiness.
- Heat oil until hot enough. Shallow fry or deep fry the pieces until golden. Drain off on the kitchen tissue.
You can also choose to grill chicken in a preheated oven at 240°c for 20 to 25 minutes depending on the size of the pieces or put them on a skewer and grill.
- Prepare the sauce for seasoning in a bowl to prevent using too much sauce. For the sauce;
- Add 1 tbsp soya sauce, ¾ to 1 tbs vinegar, ½ to 1 tsp sugar, ½ tbs red chili powder or paprika, 2 tbs red chili sauce, and 2 tbs of ketchup to a bowl
- Mix all the ingredients and add 2 to 3 tbs of water
- Note that the sauce has to be thick but have a pouring consistency
- Heat 1.5tbs oil in the pan on a high flame, add garlic, and fry for a minute.
Add onions, green chilies, spring onions, and capsicum. Fry till they become slightly tender but ensure to keep the crunch
- Add the sauces and allow them to bubble. Add the chicken and toss, fry on high heat for 1 minute till it cooks dry.
Here’s another easy recipe you can try
- Simple chili chicken recipe:
Ingredients: for 4 servings
2 chicken breasts
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 egg, beaten
¾ cup floor (100g)
1 green pepper, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
For chili sauce;
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red chili, chopped
3 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs tomato puree
½ cup of water (100ml)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper
- Cut the chicken into thin strips then coat in your prepared egg wash and flour
- Shallow fry for a few minutes on each side until it turns golden brown
- Add the peppers and fry for another couple of minutes. Remove the chicken, pepper and set aside
- Add garlic, red chili, soy sauce, tomato puree, and water in the same pan. Stir and simmer the mixture till it reduces and it’s thick and syrup.
- Add back in the chicken and peppers and stir well in the sauce.
- Your chili chicken is ready and can be served nicely.
You can also get creative with your preparation by adding some ingredients you love. Some people add broccoli, oyster sauce, honey, and chicken broth to the mixture.
Sesame oil also adds a good flavor to the sauce so you can decide to add that too.
Chili chicken is an awesome appetizer, you can enjoy it alongside rice, pasta, and whatever you choose. It is also super easy to make.
Most chili chicken served at restaurants contains monosodium glutamate (MSG) which is added to give it a unique flavor. The color enhancer that is also added isn’t so healthy for your consumption.
So preferably, jump on these chili chicken recipes and make yours at home today.
Get creative with your ingredients and make sure to add some healthy vegetables as you do so.