The major signs that you are dating a narcissist
People who are overly too into themselves are usually tagged as a narcissist, they talk about themselves on a first date, never get tired of talking about themselves, you can describe a person like this as having heightened self-worth or self-confidence, but it does not necessarily mean he/she is a self-centered individual or a narcissist.
Who then is a Narcissist?
A true narcissist is someone with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD), mostly identifiable by the following characteristics:
- A deep need for excessive attention & admiration
- An inflated sense of importance
- Lack of empathy for others
- Constantly troubled relationships
It usually entails selfishness (usually extreme) at the expense of others, plus the inability to consider others‘ feelings at all.
According to the most recent edition of the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, a person needs to meet at least five of the following nine criteria to clinically qualify as a narcissist:
- Grandiose sense of self-importance
- Preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty or ideal love.
- Believe they are special and unique and can only be understood by or should associate with others. Special or high-status people or institutions.
- Need for excessive admiration.
- Sense of entitlement
- Interpersonally exploitable behavior
- Lack of empathy
- Envy of others or a belief that others are envious of them.
- Demonstration of arrogant and naughty behaviors or attitudes.